New Flag

New Flag
Red Head

Monday, December 18, 2006



These were done before I left Disney in Bob Kato's class during lunch hour. I need to redraw the left model; I love her Art Deco pose.

The right one is after I gave birth to my daughter and was so out of it; (it would take three years before I got my drawing sensibility back; I think it was the unbalanced hormones and total lack of sleep). It literally felt like I had never held a pencil in my life and when I sat down and observed the model was afraid to make the first stroke. But oddly enough, I nailed it. Even tho, I was not lucid or "myself" I still had the ability to draw just out of the practice of drawing for so many years. Because this drawing re-affirmed that I still "had it" it remains one of my favorite drawings.

4 comments:

Vince M said...

These look great!

Kimberly M Zamlich said...

thanks, V! I would be creating drawings instead of posting old ones, but I have been sick in bed with fever and chills.

It's funny. I went thru hundreds of drawings from my sketchbook. Boy, our art teachers were right. It takes about 10,000 drawings to do a good one. I think I will burn those sketchbooks...

Trung said...

nice touch with the watercolor. Do you go in with the watercolor before or after the pencil?

Kimberly M Zamlich said...

I always start with pencil. I use a Strathomore Drawing pad, medium. They come in all different sizes. The advantage of carrying a pad are: they are lighter, can handle both pencil and watercolor, acrylic without buckling, some are small enough to fit in purses, small backpacks, and since some are small, you can sketch people without them knowing it. I use brown, indigo blue and black prismacolors for sketching and watercolor, and sometimes graphite, but some graphite pencils run with the watercolors so you have to be careful. Hope this helps.