New Flag

New Flag
Red Head

Wednesday, October 15, 2008




Acrylic, small. I did this during my lunch at work. This is from one of my favorite movies, New World. I love that it was shot with natural light, that there was very little dialogue, that it gave you a sense of how miserable it was the first winter in Jamestown. Most of all, I love Quorianka Kilcher's heartbreaking performance as the doomed Pocahantas and Colin Farrell's John Smith, who was cagey and full of lies. Yes, I know it was a very slow film but I loved that it took it's time. These color sketches are just that; abstract moods of color done quickly. I am practicing brush stroke and playing with color combos. More to follow.

8 comments:

Vince M said...

Kim, in my opinion you are blocking in your colors like an old master. These are beautiful color instincts that you're exhibiting here. Great discoveries, Mrs. Z.!

Keep on kicking ass!

No kidding.

Kimberly M Zamlich said...

Would been able to post again-but we were all invited to the toy showroom during lunch today. So-(wah!) did not get to paint during lunch today.

Been playing with some great color combos with these little sketches-this one was basically burnt umber, diaxozine purple and thalo blue mixed with titanuim white.

I need to work on better facial expression. thanks again for your support and interest-it really means a lot to me!

Kimzam

scott vanden bosch said...

lovley work Kim - your sketches are really nice and fluid , finished the sculpture yet ?

Kimberly M Zamlich said...

Hey Scott: Nice ta meet ya! Thank you!

I'm embarrassed to say no-the griffin is still waiting on my bar gathering dust. I keep waiting for the summer heat to go away in order to turn the oven on. I've been feverishly trying to finish my daughter's Halloween costume in the mean time.

John T Quinn III said...

are you working from memory or from reference? would be great to see a whole series of these.

Kimberly M Zamlich said...

I've been taking screen shots from movies and I find screen shots off the web. I have about 3 more I am working on at lunch.

Thanks for visiting, John! I'm doing fantastic art for work-I just can't show anybody!

Marian Fortunati said...

Lovely.... How you manage to squeeze these paintings in to a lunch hour, I can't imagine...
This one seems to convey such mood. VERY nice!!

Kimberly M Zamlich said...

Hey Marian! Welcome and thank you for visiting!

It takes me awhile to get one done-I actually work on several at one time-right now I am back on the angel. I find that I need to put them aside, because sometimes I get "snow blind" and paint in circles. When I put it away and then pick it up I know better on what I need to work on and can be more objective-I'm sure you know what that feels like as an artist.