New Flag

New Flag
Red Head

Sunday, September 18, 2011





Struggling to find a good paper book to paint in:
The Hidalgo shot is a sketchbook I found at an art sale at Swain's yesterday and the blue shot is done on a watercolor sketchbook from Japan. The watercolor surface with acrylics drove me crazy, but it's worth revisiting again because the paper is so thick and strong. It's really hard to find the kind of book that I need: it has to be proportioned so that it accommodates a wide screen format with extra room on the side for a color pallette, (has to be small and light enough to carry in my backpack) pages have to be thick enough to support acrylic paint and I would prefer a tooth to the surface, not as rough as the watercolor paper which absorbs too much. The best surface is the Strathmore Bristol Vellum surface but that comes in a pad. It seems whenever I switch papers, it's like learning to paint all over again!

No comments: