New Flag

New Flag
Red Head

Tuesday, March 08, 2011




These were done for Nathan Fowkes color workshop.
This is what I learned:
Warm temperatures vs. cool
Saturated color vs. Nuetrals

These are posted in the order I painted them; the top one being the first, ending with the two Boleyn sisters at the bottom. They are roughly 4"x 3", small, acrylic, scans not capturing the power of the originals of course. (Could you tell that husband and child were out of town when I did these?) I also bought better brushes and are getting to know them intimately~what I like and what lends itself to my personal taste and style.

Nathan says that "Great colorists are not born; you develop great color by practice and more practice." He has done a small painting a day for several years, starting with copying every single painting from a western book of paintings and he is simply one of the best colorists I know. (I prefer taking screenshots of movies particularly period films in which there are great examples of natural light and costume. By doing this, I can also get an understanding of how the story is staged, lit, how the director thinks). I also took note that he has two sets of some of the same colors~so that one set gets mixed and muddied and he still has a reservoir of clean saturated color to grab from and he has two containers to rinse his brushes, so he can get a cleaner rinse the second time. (He used gouache in class) He is also very picky about how saturated with water his brushes are. I have never seen anyone who does any of these things. Along with a masterful understanding of color, he has a great feel for brush stroke, two powerful advantages. (See his blog: http://nathanfowkes-sketch.blogspot.com) He told me, Kim, if you do a small painting a day, you will be a great colorist too. Nathan, you just handed me the Keys to the Kingdom. I highly recommend for any artist to take his color workshop. Thank you, Nathan, for sharing your knowledge!

2 comments:

Michael Jay LaRue said...

Hi Kim... Great to see some of the results of your latest workshop. I really like all the portraits from this and the preceding post.

I am taking two classes with Will Weston at the Guild. I am really excited about next Saturday. Our class will go to the LA Arboretum, sketchbooks in hand. Will is teaching a method that uses gray paper, warm gray markers, and sepia Pitt Artist Pens for detail (also white gel pen for highlights). I am really interested in this because I have gotten good results (and had fun!) while doing life drawing on gray paper.

Michael

Kimberly M Zamlich said...

Hi Micheal LaRue!
Thank you for checkin' in! If I can find time, I'd love to drop by...I am, tho, anticipating more work by the end of the week...I'm also going to try to finish a sculpt I've started a while ago...

Keep up the good work! I've never really tried the life drawing on gray paper but I do know that it's helpful to have that midtone already placed so you can knock in the shadows and hilights~it's a paint concept that I use when I paint.

Have fun!

Kim